Bescher

Corydoras and shrimp

11 posts in this topic

I have had five corydoras and a number of shrimp RCS, amano's and Japanese ( something) I also had a number of plecos ( no longer just one and a few babied, I also have pearl danios, zebra danios, white clouds, endlers. I keep losing shrimp I find their shells or today I found one of the amano's broken in half. At first I thought it was the plecos got rid of all except for a four inches ( grandson) and three or four fry. My water is well water and I do weekly water changes so water is good but does anyone might have a idea why I'm losing these shrimp. I want shrimp as part of my cleanup crew ( besides they look interesting)

I had six amano's I don't know how many cherry and three Japanese (large) I am down to two cherry, three amano's and two Japanese. I thought maybe plecos were eating them. Sold five ( including ) the loving albino couple now I am wondering if maybe the corydoras are doing it ( I have five still)

Thanks

I have had five corydoras and a number of shrimp RCS, amano's and Japanese ( something) I also had a number of plecos ( no longer just one and a few babied, I also have pearl danios, zebra danios, white clouds, endlers. I keep losing shrimp I find their shells or today I found one of the amano's broken in half. At first I thought it was the plecos got rid of all except for a four inches ( grandson) and three or four fry. My water is well water and I do weekly water changes so water is good but does anyone might have a idea why I'm losing these shrimp. I want shrimp as part of my cleanup crew ( besides they look interesting)

I had six amano's I don't know how many cherry and three Japanese (large) I am down to two cherry, three amano's and two Japanese. I thought maybe plecos were eating them. Sold five ( including ) the loving albino couple now I am wondering if maybe the corydoras are doing it ( I have five still)

Thanks

The bottom line is, that with the exception of otocinclus, no fish is totally safe with shrimp. That being said, I have shrimp in almost all of my tanks, but for the most part, my fish are micro fish, and oftentimes the shrimp are larger than the fish (I don't put shrimp in the puffer or ram tanks). I don't have any experience with plecos, but from what I've read, some plecos will eat shrimp, while others do not. I have mixed cories and shrimp for years with no problem. You say your water is good, but has it been tested? If you don't have the chemicals, then most fist stores will do it (test) for free. Do your shrimp moult on a regular basis? They could be lacking calcium--which is easily remedied with the addition of a cuttlebone, tums, calcium blocks, etc., or you can buy shrimp specific products that will help with their moult. The safest way to keep shrimp is in a species tank, but not everyone has the room. Personally, I'd test the water and if the water is not the problem, then I'd start cycling a small aquarium and add what shrimp you have left to the new setup. If your shrimp survive, then you know one of your fish was the culprit. Also, if your tank is not heavily planted, you could try adding more plants, pots, etc., for your shrimp to hide. might be another option. They're inexpensive (in our area around 11 cents apiece) and fun to watch. You could put a few ghosties in your tank and see how they do. They're actually one of my favorite shrimp--very outgoing!! Hope this helps, good luck and let me know how things go.

Let's see, api test kit, tested once a week, all good, water changes, 25% every week, two sunsun hw 303b canister filters ( rated for 75 gallon tanks on a 37 gal) a floating bed filter and two large rocket filters ( lava stone and poly foam) sunsun filters are checked and cleaned every other week alternating between the two. ( no the biomedia is not cleaned only the foam filters are either cleaned or changed. I haven't checked for copper but to have api water conditioner that gets rid of copper the only I haven't done is cuttlebone but will do that this week

By the way I did order from who you suggested, Thanks

Oh and I forgot to add in the two bio cubes, the seven water wisteria plants, substrate is flourite on the bottom with Eco complete small gravel and then eco complete black sand as well

How much cuttle bone do you put in? Do you let it float and it did dissolves or do you you hold it down and let the shrimp nibble on it?

I bought one and put the whole thing in holding it down I thought it was a good idea but maybe not?

Let's see, api test kit, tested once a week, all good, water changes, 25% every week, two sunsun hw 303b canister filters ( rated for 75 gallon tanks on a 37 gal) a floating bed filter and two large rocket filters ( lava stone and poly foam) sunsun filters are checked and cleaned every other week alternating between the two. ( no the biomedia is not cleaned only the foam filters are either cleaned or changed. I haven't checked for copper but to have api water conditioner that gets rid of copper the only I haven't done is cuttlebone but will do that this week

You may want to up your water changes to 50% every week. Shrimp love clean water and mine seem to do better when a larger volume of water is changed out. Are your shrimp moulting regularly?

By the way I did order from who you suggested, Thanks

What did you order and have they arrived yet? Are you happy with your purchase? I like to keep up with other people's experiences with sellers I've recommended, so I'm interested to hear how things went with you. You can PM me if you want it kept private. Thnx!

Oh and I forgot to add in the two bio cubes, the seven water wisteria plants, substrate is flourite on the bottom with Eco complete small gravel and then eco complete black sand as well

For more delicate shrimp, I use a substrate that is made specifically for shrimp, that way I can use water straight out of the tap. I don't know that this substrate is totally necessary, but it's worked out really well with my crystal reds--have lots of shrimplets, whereas before, I rarely had any. Only thing new, was substrate. Mosses also work great in a shimp tank! Since your shrimp are in a community tank, adding moss, will provide cover for the babies.

How much cuttle bone do you put in? Do you let it float and it did dissolves or do you you hold it down and let the shrimp nibble on it?

I bought one and put the whole thing in holding it down I thought it was a good idea but maybe not?

Just break off a piece about the size of a quarter and add it to the tank. You can either allow sink on its own (can take several days), or you can secure it in some other fashion. Once it sinks, it will stay put, and you won't need to replace it for quite some time. Also, helpful are katappa leaves and alder cones. Adding these to the tank is benficial in several ways. There was a discussion a while back.

i did break off a piece of it but then threw the whole thing in I will take it out I use catapa leafs and bark now.

I ordered three shrimp from that place not quite the size of bamboo but almost can't remember the name of them right now

i did break off a piece of it but then threw the whole thing in I will take it out I use catapa leafs and bark now.

I ordered three shrimp from that place not quite the size of bamboo but almost can't remember the name of them right now

Do you remember who you ordered them from? 

Oh I want to medicate all my fish in tank to kill any parasites what do you recommend that won't kill the shrimp nor destroy the biomedia

Alpha pro breeders

Can't take credit for this recommendation since I've never ordered anything from Alpha Pro Breeders. Glad you had a good experience, though!

Oh I want to medicate all my fish in tank to kill any parasites what do you recommend that won't kill the shrimp nor destroy the biomedia

Are you sure they even have parasites? If they don't have parasites or you're not sure if they have parasites, I would do nothing. Medicating for the wrong thing can be more harmful than not medicating at all. Some medications contain copper which is highly toxic to shrimp, so be careful what you use. If your fish are showing symtoms of some sort of disease, then here is a good site that will help identify what they might have and the treatment. I would remove the sick fish to a quarantine tank or if your entire tank is infected, then I would remove the shrimp. Also of note, scaleless fish can also be very sensitive to certain medications, so do your research.