Terri

Salt VS Freshwater Aquascaping

5 posts in this topic

Reef Builders wrote an interesting article about aquascaping fresh and saltwater tanks. Personally, I think freshwater will always beat saltwater tanks hands down, as far as being able to come up with something different and unique.

Thats what makes reef tanks better ;). It is way harder to do something unique. If there is an original thought out there, I could use it right about now.

Terri likes this

Thats what makes reef tanks better ;). It is way harder to do something unique. If there is an original thought out there, I could use it right about now.

I agree that originality is in short supply in saltwater tanks. Several times, I could have sworn that a photo on google was my tank (without the algae). 

Too funny, Josh!  I have looked at literally hundreds of saltwater tanks and only said, Daaaamn! once (it was an amazing tank)!!  While I've said, Daaaamn (and drooled over) countless freshwater tanks. That being said, they each have their strong suits and I understand the attraction of saltwater. Freshwater tanks in my opinion, are far easier to maintain! I have agonized over the 30 gallon and spent more time on it, than all my other tanks combined (we are not simpatico) and yet it still looks like crap. Marine tanks take far more planning, diligence and patience. Plus, I think the goals are different when it comes to scaping (not to mention, there are only so many ways to stack rock). For me the joy of saltwater comes from the fish. I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but all the inhabitants of the tank, are chock full of personality (to include the inverts).  In fact, the pure awesomeness of the fish is what keeps me going--otherwise the tank would have been torn down long ago! I keep plugging along, making mistakes, but learning from them (mistakes) as well. Hopefully, one day, I will live up to my fish!  :)  Bottom line--my hat is off to all the reef keepers out there!