Terri

Vintage Battery Jar

9 posts in this topic

If anyone has one of these available, please contact me via Aquarium Speed.  I am looking for the square battery jar that holds app. 2--2 1/2 gallons and is from the early 1900's. 

il_570xN.424152379_epog.jpg

Wow. Can't say I've ever heard of a battery jar.

That's because you're not old like me!  They're the perfect size for a shrimp tank (which is why I want one), but they'd also make a nice terrarium.  Found one on Ebay for a really good price and it should be here by Monday.  Should be a fun build!!

The battery jar arrived WAY early (received it on Thursday, instead of Monday). Guess FedEx wanted to clear things out before the BIG storm hits the East Coast.  Anyhoo, the battery jar totally rocks and is super heavy duty!!  It will make an awesome tank of some sort. 

Can't wait to see where you go with this.

I've been researching Hawaiian volcano shrimp (opae ula) for quite awhile and find them fascinating, so I was considering them.  They require brackish water though, and that's getting perilously close to saltwater--ha, ha.  They are really neat little creatures, though.

$_35.JPG

Ihatespeedbumps likes this

You continue to creep further into the dark side...

First it's one salt tank, then two and now brackish tanks. What has AS come to?!?!

IF you do decide to go the brackish route you could always try your hand at breeding Nertites in the same tank.

You continue to creep further into the dark side...

Gak!  Don't I know it!!  Love the shrimp--they're so active and interesting, but the thought of mixing up more saltwater gives me a headache.  :huh:

First it's one salt tank, then two and now brackish tanks. What has AS come to?!?!

:rolleyes:

IF you do decide to go the brackish route you could always try your hand at breeding Nertites in the same tank.

Yeah, it would be awesome to see the eggs actually hatch out instead of dotting the landscape and doing nothing like they do now. 

Ihatespeedbumps likes this