Terri

Dwarf Seahorse Tank

48 posts in this topic

I haven't been on for a few days and missed all of your progress. Sorry to hear you got so many DOA, it really sounds like seller negligence, glad he is trying to make it up for it.

That said, it looks like you're doing a great job! I must admit I had to do a double take when I read you were getting a pregnant male :)

Yeah, male and pregnant are not usually words one hears together (although I'd be willing to bet most women would love that reality)!!!  The ponies are so sweet--I know some people will think that's personifying them, but I know of no other way to describe them other than sweet. They have such gentle natures--very relaxing to watch.   I went ahead and delayed shipment again.

A bit of an update--the new batch of seahorses ship today and should arrive tomorrow.  Looking forward to seeing them. The 3 survivors of the original batch continue to do well.  The smallest one has really grown in the past couple of weeks and is almost as big as the other two.  Their growth rate is amazing.  I finally got the schedule down for hatching out daily batches of brine shrimp--to be so small, they sure do eat a lot!!  I've also gotten serious about culturing copepods since it is important for the ponies to have as varied a diet as possible.  Still working on their frozen food diet and they seem to be eating the frozen BBS I put in the tank.  I feed live twice a day, but in between the 2 live meals, I give them frozen shrimp. At times, I also mix frozen in with the live.

You need one of those 10" orange seahorses. That or just get the WSD.

As much as I'd love to have a weedy sea dragon, I feel they are best left in the ocean (JMO).

this should be neat.

It really is!  I can't tell you how much fun they are to watch (even though they don't do that much). 

New ponies arrived today!  One DOA, which I was sorry to lose, but seller resent the entire order (received 8, instead of 5).  Normally, I don't feed fish right out of the bag, but seahorses settle in very quickly and once they do, they start looking for food. 

Bottom left hand side of photo is a very pregnant male. 

med_gallery_9_62_89693.jpg

You can see how they're reaching for food in this photo.  Specks are baby brine shrimp

med_gallery_9_62_137167.jpg

flyfishing3 likes this

They would be kind of cool in a desk tank... or in with a Foxface. They look good. How hard is it to keep that tank clean?

They would be kind of cool in a desk tank... or in with a Foxface. They look good. How hard is it to keep that tank clean?

Desk tank, yes. Foxface, not so much. :)  Tank is not hard to keep clean, but it is hard to clean, if that makes sense.

Seaponies were super hungry this morning and I've had to up the production of brine shrimp.  Can't imagine what it will be like when the babies arrive.  Now that I've had a chance to observe them more, I think there may be 2-3 pregnant males.  Yipes!

i was watching the showed tanked and they talked about the water flow/current is critical with Horses.  Being almost nonexistent.  they can't handle fast moving water.

thought that was interesting.  

i was watching the showed tanked and they talked about the water flow/current is critical with Horses.  Being almost nonexistent.  they can't handle fast moving water.

thought that was interesting.  

They're not very strong swimmers, which has always sort of surprised me.

Some sources say gestation takes 10 days, while others say 10-14 days.  I check on him like a kabillion times every hour, but so far all he's done is sit at his hitching post, eating copious amounts of pods and shrimp.  Following photos were taken yesterday, but they do not show how truly HUGE he has become.  In other news, all 10 ponies are doing well.  I can still tell the original 3 apart from the rest of the herd, but some of the new ones I don't know as well.  I believe I have 3 males and 7 females.

med_gallery_9_62_63447.jpg 

med_gallery_9_62_153654.jpg

med_gallery_9_62_1375.jpg

Part of the herd.  If you look closely, you can see 6 of the 10 seahorses.  They seem to have divided themselves into two groups, but there is some intermingling (especially during feeding time). Snowflake, still hangs out by herself a lot, but when she feels like company, she goes with whichever group is closest (she doesn't seem to have a favorite).

med_gallery_9_62_31349.jpg

BABIES.......finally!!!  At least thirteen seahorses arrived this morning.  Very cute, very tiny and ready to eat within minutes of being born.  Snowed the tank heavily with tons of brine shrimp; they seem to like eating upside down. They were all the same color at birth.  It will be interesting to see how they change.

med_gallery_9_62_20884.jpg

Above are 2 of the new arrivals.

Below for comparison is an adult dwarf and 2 babies. Adults are barely 1 inch long, so this should give you an idea of how tiny they are.

med_gallery_9_62_45077.jpg

This one is smart--he's hitching a ride on Pops in order to get closer to the food!

med_gallery_9_62_71795.jpg

Sexy anemone shrimp are part of the cleaning crew. I chose them because they're non aggressive, stay small and won't out compete the seahorses for food. A very interesting and entertaining shrimp--they don't seem shy at all!!  In a few weeks, I'll add some mini stars. The nassarius do a good job keeping the sand bed churned up and the minis will further add to this. They are also able to get into cracks and crevices that the shrimp and snails can't.

med_gallery_9_23_62988.jpg

EEEEEKKK!

I just made my first order of dawrfs and Im sooooooooooo excited :) yay! how is it going? :lol: 

Congratulations--how exciting! When are your ponies due to arrive? I hope you'll post your tank pictures, etc., in the forum section! Everyone loves the ponies and it's always interesting to see what sort of setup other people keep them in! Good luck!! In case you missed it, http://www.aquariumspeed.com/page/articles.html/_/information/fish/saltwater-fish/dwarf-seahorse-care-and-diet-r124is a more in depth article on their care and diet. I've had really good luck using the acclimation method mentioned!