Terri

Dwarf Seahorse Tank

48 posts in this topic

As posted elsewhere, I'm sort of playing around with the idea of setting up a dwarf seahorse tank. I will be using the Fluval View.

med_gallery_9_16_167294.jpg

Since it's best not to use live rock or coral with dwarf seahorses, I picked up some faux decorations.  Plan on using them with some dead, live rock. Went ahead and filled up tank with freshwater to make sure it doesn't leak and that all components are in working order.  As soon as I figure out how I want to scape the tank, the sand (white) and saltwater will be added.  The white column in the middle hides the heater, filter, etc. Unfortunately, that tree looking decal cannot be removed.  First order of business is to figure out how to hide it!!

med_gallery_9_62_126532.jpg

med_gallery_9_62_402539.jpg

Sounds like a fun project! I'm surprised to see you taking another stab at a salt tank :)

Yeah, I guess I did kind of bend your ear about the evils of saltwater tanks, and how I vowed never do another one. Maybe I can just leave the freshwater in there and use fake seahorses.  :)

Added sand and saltwater, to the tank last night.  Used a bunch of filter media from the 30 gallon, and some water as well.  The tank should be cycled and ready for ponies in no time at all!!

Where will you be getting the sea horses from?

There are a couple of places that are reputable, but I need to double check their (ponies) endangered status and I also need to make sure whoever I buy them from is licensed by the state.  For whatever reason, many of the people who sell dwarf seahorses seem more than a bit shady (if their reviews are anything to go by).

Stiiiilllllll cycling.  Actually, I almost ordered the ponies this week, but FedEx has put things on hold because of winter storm Cleo. 

Damn, do all salt tanks take this long to cycle?

I'm not the best person to ask about saltwater tanks, but yes, they seem to take ever so much longer.  Stuff I'd try with a freshwater tank, I'd never do with salt.  Dwarf seahorses are fairly hardy, but they cannot tolerate an uncycled tank, so I figure better safe than sorry.  If I can catch them, I want to put the eviota in the tank, but they're small and fast, so they may have to stay in the 30 gallon.

They're here, but unfortunately, 5 of the 8 were DOA to include a couple of pregnant males.  Below is the only thing they had to hold onto, which in and of itself isn't bad, but there should have been more of it.  Even better yet, would have been a small amount of caulerpa. As it was, some of the live ponies were wrapped around the dead ones--this made me really sad.

med_gallery_9_62_77403.jpg

The box was shipped with no heat pack and the poor things were almost frozen to death.  This sort of nonsense totally annoys me since their deaths were needless!!  I have contacted the seller and we will see how he responds. He's received good reviews, so I'm hoping what happened to me was a rare occurrence.  Anyway, onto better news!  The remaining three looked like they might not make it, but in the past hour they have really perked up.  Let's hope their progress continues!!  Have to back up a bit.....on the seller's info page about shipping, he states that he only ships on Monday and Tuesday, but for some reason he shipped my order on a Thursday.  I had no baby brine shrimp started and this along with copepods, are the only things they'll eat.  I was concerned especially when I noticed them looking for food.  Having nothing to lose, I defrosted some baby brine shrimp and snowed the tank hoping for the best.  Wonder of wonders--they actually ate frozen food!  Who'd a thunk?  The seahorses are so cute and very curious.  Sort of freaky acclimating them though.  You can't use a net, so you have to carefully scoop them up in your hand, then transfer them to the tank.  I think we bonded!   

med_gallery_9_62_158059.jpg

med_gallery_9_62_13928.jpg

In the 2 above photos, you can see all the baby brine shrimp swirling around in the water.

med_gallery_9_62_35539.jpg

The three remaining ponies made it through the night!  Two of them seem to be doing very well, but the third I'm not so sure about.  She's eating, but she's not as curious as the other two and she likes her own company.  Maybe she's just a loner.  Who knows?  I'm encouraged that she's hanging in there though, and hopefully, she will continue to improve.  Since not enough shrimp had hatched out, I had to mix live BBS with live copepods in order to snow the tank.  Seahorses will not go out of their way to feed themselves--they find a spot they like and wait for food to come to them. All of them enjoyed their morning repast and fingers crossed that lots more shrimp will hatch before they need to be fed again.  Since they ate frozen food last night, I think I'm going to continue mixing it in with their live food. 

Still have the remaining three, but Snowflake continues to hang out towards the bottom of the tank.  Good news is that she has now moved over to where the other ponies are.  I know that seahorses are not the most intelligent beings in the aquatic world, but this morning Rosebud was trying to glom onto the fake tree decal at the back of the tank. She tried for several minutes to get her tail around the faux branches before giving up and going back to something that was actually multi dimensional.  Cute, but dumb as a bag of rocks!

med_gallery_9_62_33509.jpg

In the photo above are Rosebud and King.  Sort of an interesting story (at least to me).  The branch-like thing they are holding onto is actually a piece of black coral.  My father-in-law bought it over 50 years ago from a pet shop in Ft Campbell, Kentucky that was going out of business.  He didn't have an aquarium, so the purchase was sort of odd--he just thought it was nice.  Since my father-in-law was in the military, the coral made numerous moves over the years to include a couple of trips to Okinawa, Florida, California, West Point, etc. Needless to say, I was thrilled when he gave it to me--love the history behind it.  What's in the seahorse tank is actually a piece of coral that broke off from a much larger piece.  The bigger piece is in the 30 gallon tank.

med_gallery_9_62_84447.jpg    

Above is Snowflake.

Still need to ream seller. 

Probably true, but it's only fair to give people a chance to make things right.  It might have been an honest mistake.

I have been in contact with the seller (Foxy Saltwater Tropicals) and he agreed to pay for shipping and send the replacement seahorses out today (Monday) no questions asked.  The new residents should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing them!! 

All the ponies continue to improve and their individual personalities are really starting to develop. I was having an issue with low hatch rates for the brine shrimp, but went back to doing it the (as opposed to the instructions given by the seller). I can now happily say, brine-be-us!!  Oh yeah, spoke with Jason (seahorse seller) yesterday--super nice guy and very helpful.  He couldn't have been easier to work with or more accommodating.  Anyhoo, after our discussion it was decided to ship the new ponies out on Thursday instead of yesterday (Monday).  By waiting, I'll be able to get some really nice seahorses (to include a pregnant male) that will be coming out of quarantine.  He has some amazing prices on ricordea, so ordered that and a flame scallop (none of which are going in this tank, so sort of off topic).

In an earlier post I mentioned how one of the seahorses (Rosebud) tries to latch on to fake branches.  In the photo below you can see her in action (she looks almost fake herself).

med_gallery_9_62_65319.jpg

Forgot to mention the inverts in the tank--added some nassarius snails to keep the sand bed sifted and detritus free.  There are also some astrea snails that will keep algae off the rock and glass.

med_gallery_9_62_27173.jpg

Nassarius plowing up the sand bed.  Good job!!

med_gallery_9_62_45928.jpg

Wide view of how well the snails churn up the sand.

No particular reason for the following picture--I just thought it was cute!! 

med_gallery_9_62_37533.jpg

Because of the winter storm that is supposed to shut down much of the East Coast, I decided to delay shipment of seahorses until Monday.  Hopefully, Mother Nature will calm down and we'll have ponies on Tuesday.

Crazy cold coming here

I don't want to leave houseOur highs are only going to be in the 30's with lows in the teens on Tuesday.

I can imagine!!  Did you get much snow?  Our highs are only going to be in the 30's, with lows in the teens on Tuesday.  It sure doesn't feel like Florida weather!  I think I'm going to delay the seahorse shipment until the middle of next week.  No sense taking any chances.

I haven't been on for a few days and missed all of your progress. Sorry to hear you got so many DOA, it really sounds like seller negligence, glad he is trying to make it up for it.

That said, it looks like you're doing a great job! I must admit I had to do a double take when I read you were getting a pregnant male :)