Terri

New To Review

7 posts in this topic

Received another package from Sevenports with a couple of things to review. First was the light that I wrote about in a previous post.  It's the one that flips up. Did a water change last night and I must say it's a nice feature to have! The light was out of the way, yet I could still see into the tank.  Cool beans!

med_gallery_9_16_85672.jpg

Also included in the package was BioPure for shrimp and plants. Should be fun to test out--my shrimp love being guinea pigs!

med_gallery_9_16_56504.jpg

I've been hearing about Seachem Purigen forever, so decided to see if it lives up to its reputation.  My tank water looks pretty polished, so sort of figured the Purigen wouldn't make a difference.  It's not in all the tanks yet, and the results have been mixed so far--it's been less than 24 hours, so perhaps it needs to run a bit more. Anyway, thought it would make a huge difference in the saltwater tank, but the difference has been negligible. In the 30 gallon, where I thought there wouldn't be a difference, there is (it's awesome) and in the rams tank, haven't seen any change. As I clean filters, I'll continue adding the Purigen until all the tanks are running it. One neat thing about this product is that it can be regenerated with simple household bleach.  Love this idea!

41jOf05CEhL._SY450_.jpg

Any pictures of the light on your tank? I'm assuming it'll work on both rimmed and rimless tanks?

I guess I should post pixs of the light on the tank, huh?  Sort of a funny story.....Geoff, (Mr Aqua, dude) called on an unrelated matter, and somehow we got on the topic of the light.  Originally, it was supposed to go on the 11.5 Mr Aqua, but I couldn't get it to fit.  I told him I was sorry, but I'd tried it on every Mr Aqua tank I owned (figuring a Mr Aqua product would be better on a Mr Aqua tank, right), but it ended up on a Fluval, instead.  He assured me it would fit on the the 11 gallon and was nice enough to take a picture of one on an 11 gallon tank. Why wouldn't mine fit?  We chatted a bit more and I said something to the effect that putting a light together wasn't exactly rocket science.....slide the brackets in the slots, screws to the outside, stick it on the tank, plug it in, voila! let there be light.  Long silence......Ummmm, Terri, the screws go on the inside.  Doh! Since the light flips up, the screws don't have to be on the outside like they do on a normal light!  Plus, with the brackets reversed, the light sat really high above the water.  Boy, did I feel like a weenie!  Now that it's installed correctly, not only does it fit the 11 gallon, it's about 1 1/2 inches above the tank as opposed the the 3 or 4 inches it was sitting when done incorrectly!  I'm sure Mr Aqua, now has a ton of confidence in my mad reviewing skills.  Ha, ha, ha!!!!   

I think it will fit on a rimmed tank, but I'll double check later on to make sure. 

Nice work ;)

Definitely not one of my finer moments!  Despite my fumbling attempts at putting a light together....I really like it so far!  I'm seeing quite a bit of new plant growth and it's even keeping the baby's tears happy!  I've also been testing the BioPro for shrimp and I'm impressed! 

Received another package from Sevenports with a couple of things to review. First was the light that I wrote about in a previous post.  It's the one that flips up. Did a water change last night and I must say it's a nice feature to have! The light was out of the way, yet I could still see into the tank.  Cool beans!

med_gallery_9_16_85672.jpg

Also included in the package was BioPure for shrimp and plants. Should be fun to test out--my shrimp love being guinea pigs!

med_gallery_9_16_56504.jpg

I've been hearing about Seachem Purigen forever, so decided to see if it lives up to its reputation.  My tank water looks pretty polished, so sort of figured the Purigen wouldn't make a difference.  It's not in all the tanks yet, and the results have been mixed so far--it's been less than 24 hours, so perhaps it needs to run a bit more. Anyway, thought it would make a huge difference in the saltwater tank, but the difference has been negligible. In the 30 gallon, where I thought there wouldn't be a difference, there is (it's awesome) and in the rams tank, haven't seen any change. As I clean filters, I'll continue adding the Purigen until all the tanks are running it. One neat thing about this product is that it can be regenerated with simple household bleach.  Love this idea!

41jOf05CEhL._SY450_.jpg

I use purigen quite a bit almost exclusively unless I have a spike of ammonia or nitrites. And I love it

But I have a question since I can't post a new topic for some reason

Since I have two canister filters what would people think about running one with the usual mechanical pads but nothing else but biological material in it and the other nothing but say purigen and or carbon ( I don't particurlarly like carbon there are other ways to keep the tank clean without removing everything)

How would that work opinions please

I use purigen quite a bit almost exclusively unless I have a spike of ammonia or nitrites. And I love it
But I have a question since I can't post a new topic for some reason

Since I have two canister filters what would people think about running one with the usual mechanical pads but nothing else but biological material in it and the other nothing but say purigen and or carbon ( I don't particurlarly like carbon there are other ways to keep the tank clean without removing everything)
How would that work opinions please

This works quite well (assuming you're using recommended amounts of purigen) and a lot of people do something very similar with their marine tanks.